In Rexburg this holiday season, try to keep your blood sugar level in control by using recipes which call for less sugar, like these ones. Enjoy!
Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
1/2 cup grass-fed butter
1/3 cup sweetener of choice (xylitol or stevia work well)
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350o F and spray two baking sheets with coconut oil baking spray. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together butter and sweetener. Add one egg at a time, beating for one minute and scraping the bowl after each addition. Add in vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add almond flour and baking soda and mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Use a tablespoon to portion out 18 cookies, dividing them between the two prepared pans.
- Bake cookies for 7 minutes, then rotate pans top to bottom and front to back and bake for 7 minutes more. (Oven times may vary so be sure to keep an eye on the cookies in case they need to come out sooner!)
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or other non- dairy creamer)
1–2 cups Postum, Pero, or other non-caffeinated coffee-style beverage
2 tbsp canned pumpkin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/16 tsp nutmeg, allspice & cloves
1/4 tsp vanilla
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for about 10 seconds.
Note: Make sure beverage is not too hot; otherwise, blender may build up pressure.