Madison Memorial Hospital is joining with the American Diabetes Association for today’s National Healthy Lunch Day.
Today is all about celebrating the importance of good nutrition and its role in lowering your risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease. So, together, let’s start making healthier lunch choices today to feel our best.
We will be at the Paragon with the Family Feud game and handouts with ideas.
To raise awareness, share photos of you and your colleagues and your food choices on social media as you take part in today’s fun activities—and use this hashtag: #HealthyLunchDay.
Need tips for healthy choices when eating out? We’ve got you covered.
8 Lunchtime Tips for Eating Out
If you don’t have a cafeteria or time to bring a healthy lunch from home, follow these eat right tips:
1. If you can, choose restaurants with healthier menu options and order those options.
2. Try out a vegetarian option, such as a grilled vegetable Panini or wrap with fresh vegetables and hummus. Avoid vegetarian options that are overloaded with cheese (lots of calories and fat).
3. Order a salad with the dressing on the side. Watch out for main dish salads with a lot of cheese or fried meats and toppings. Ask for less cheese and grilled meats.
4. Opt for grilled meat, fish, and poultry rather than fried.
5. Order the smallest sandwich. Skip anything called “double.” Go for the 6-inch sub rather than the foot-long option. Ask if whole wheat is an option for buns and bread.
6. Opt for fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, or low-fat yogurt as side dishes.
7. Order broth-based vegetable or bean soup rather than creamy soups.
8. Choose sugar-free drinks, such as water (best choice!), unsweetened tea, coffee, or diet soda